WildFire/Forest Fire Expense/Revenue/SOFI Issues - Teleconference

Our accounting department is determining the best way to account for the participation of our firefighters in the wild fire fight this summer. I thought I would set up a teleconference so anyone also dealing with these issues (that reads this forum!) could gather to chat. We are looking at revenues/contra-expense, reporting expenses, and what to do with the SOFI report - we asked the ministry about SOFI and received a response to 'use professional judgement'. We know what we'd like to do, but wanted to see if it was aligned with what others are doing.

Please send me an email at [email protected] if you'd like the teleconference information, we have tentatively planned for Thursday September 7th at 3PM.

Thanks,

Emily

Comments

• Hi Emily, we have a volunteer fire dept. We paid our fire dept's society, a lump sum and they paid out the individual firefighters - they have been advised to claim the income at tax time. Other local govt's in the area had their individual firefighters invoice us directly. And so they will also claim the income themselves on each of their own income tax returns.